About the Artist:
Soumendranath Roy, widely known as Soumen Roy, is an emerging contemporary artist from West Bengal. He completed his studies in Computer Application from the University of Calcutta.
He beholds a diploma in painting from Bharatiya Nandanik Parishad. His artist career started under the guidance of eminent artist Prakash Karmakar. Soumen has been working as a self-dependable artist for almost a decade now.
Roy has been highly inspired by the great sculptor and painter Ramkinkar Baij. The contextual modernist approach of Baij has influenced Soumen’s works a lot.
He also considers his mother as his muse and encouragement.
Soumen is inclined towards music as well as cooking to ease out his thought process.
Style of the Artist:
Soumen has a bright and bold approach. A range of cheerful color selection can be witnessed in his works. He is inclined towards portraying famous and renowned personalities. His works also represent lifestyles of people. Religious paintings by him stand out among all the works.
He widely works with acrylics and graphite. Tempted by works of Ramkinkar Baij, he developed a unique modernist style. It gives a feel of pop art with Indian sensibility. His involvement as a wall and street painter is remarkable.
Soumen’s religious paintings are more entitled and highly appreciated.
He has participated in several group exhibitions and art workshops. Some of them are:
- 2010, 2011, 2013, 2018 : ACADEMY OF FINE ARTS
- 2011, 2013, 2014 : BIRLA ACADEMY OF ART & CULTURE
- 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017 : HARAF ART GALLERY
- 2016 : HYDERBAD STATE ART GELLERY,
- 2017 : CHITRAKALA PARISAD BENGALURU
- 2018 : EARTH at ICCR (DAUGHTER)
- 2018 : ACADEMY OF FINE ARTS (RUSSIAN – INDIAN CULTURAL EXCHANGE)
- 2019 : KARNATAKA CHITRA SANTH ART FAIR BANGALORE, NOTIBINODINE ART GALLARY(COLLAGE 19).
- 2020 :DURGA by GALLERY OF GODS by DAUGHTOR (ONLINE INTERNATIONAL ART EXIBITION)
- 2020 : WORLD ART ORGANIZATION (NATIONAL PAINTING EXIBITION)
ONLINE SOLO EXHIBITION :
2020: BANGIYO KALA KENDRA VIMOHI ARTIST GROUP
Why should you buy his works?
Soumen Roy is a budding artist with a distinguished style. His works are mostly illustrious yet hold a prominent boldness and intensity.
His works can up-light the mood of any place. The walls of your living rooms or office can be seemingly decorated with these pop-art frames.
- Pride of Performance Award, President of the Pakistan Painters Guild, 1989
- Sitara-i-Imtiaz (Star of Excellence), President of the Pakistan Painters Guild, 2009
- Jamil Naqsh: A Treat for Art Lovers
- Jamil Naqsh and The ‘Names of God’
- Jamil Naqsh Museum in Karachi is the antidote to antiquity
- Jamil Naqsh: Art is a Way of Life
- 'Jamil Naqsh's demise marks the end of the era of Pakistani modern masters'
- Pakistan bids farewell to artist Jamil Naqsh
- Jamil Naqsh: farewell to the art’s legend, a man of inordinate vision and vast knowledge
- Jamil Naqsh: Monarch of the skies
- Veteran artist Jamil Naqsh
- Jamil Naqsh “Homage to Picasso"
- Jamil Naqsh “The Painter Word"
- Jamil Naqsh “A Retrospective"
- Jamil Naqsh “An Artist Between Three Cultures"
- Pigeon and a Slice of Light
- Jamil Naqsh: The Muse, Messengers and & Miniatures